Thursday, January 22, 2009

Weight! Watch!

Beth and I got engaged in July 2006 and joined Weight Watchers together that fall. I was skeptical at first, and my first day on the FLEX program was awful. My boss had brought goodies to the office, and I decided to have half a bagel with a bit of cream cheese. Seeing that tiny amount of food numerically represent a fifth of the calories I should eat in a day in order to lose weight at a maintainable rate opened my eyes to how bad my eating habits had been since leaving my parents' home for college.

I reached my Goal Weight of 169 pounds late in the summer of 2007, a bit in advance of our wedding day. I had lost about 70 pounds, and did it all with the support of my wife. We learned to cook together, eat well, and kept going to the meetings. We had been so pleased with our personal successes that we actually invited our group leader to our wedding.

I'm not sure when I stopped following the program, but through the summer and fall of 2008, I knew I was putting weight back on. I wasn't going to meetings, I wasn't journaling the food I was eating, and my portion sizes were out of control. When I finally went back to a meeting last Wednesday, I found out that I had gained 25 pounds since hitting my goal weight.

There's a new program now that combines the fundamentals of the FLEX and CORE programs I was introduced to when I joined, and based on my first week, it looks solid. If I'm going to get myself back to my goal weight, I'm going to have to do a lot of hard work. I've always had a hard time wanting to exercise, and I can name about a dozen things without difficulty that I will always eat unless I'm in total control of my hunger.

After one week, I've lost 2.2 pounds, but I didn't earn any activity points for the week. For now, I feel like that's okay - my first priority has to be managing my hunger - but I need to get myself moving if I expect to be able to maintain the kind of success I had when I got to goal.

So, anyone have any advice for a sedentary nerd who needs to make time to do something he hates?

1 comment:

HollyMom said...

How come it's so much easier to gain than to lose?? I NEVER thought I'd enjoy exercise, but have found that the support of exercising with others is the best motivator for me. Additionally, though, a favorite son and daughter (guess I have to say "in law"...but she feels just like a daughter!) turned me onto the Wii Fit and I'm lovin' it...so get your Mii off it's butt and get movin'with me!!
Lots of love - your Mii Mom